07 June 2011

Randomness about one of the best weeks ever...

Most people that know me have heard me reference my "bucket list" at one time or another. Go ahead and feel free to laugh. ;) My bucket list is really just random little selfish things I think would be incredible fun to do someday (think: camping, backpacking, world travelling, crazy recipes, whatever catches my fancy. ;) ). As a side - a bucket list for me is not a list of things I must do before I die, it is more so a list of self-centered things that I assume I will never do but would if I got the chance. One of those things on my list was to meet Michael Card. He is one of those on my list of inspiration people. His music has some of the best biblical insights I've ever heard, and ministers to me in so many different ways. I always thought it would be incredible to hear him in person, but I never thought it'd be possible. But God is good, and not only did I get to hear him speak, I heard him perform live some of my favorite songs and even had dinner with him! Best week ever? I think so.

Michael Card wasn't the only person that I was interested in hearing. Pastor Trice is one of my favorite speakers to listen to. He shared many good insights over the week, and covered a huge variety of topics/questions quite well. It wasn't until Sunday afternoon that it really hit me - BWSC is over for the year. No more Q&A sessions (one of my favorite parts of the conference). No more fellowship - I think I'm going into social withdrawal. ;) I'm afraid I wasn't as social as I could've been, but I enjoyed catching up with a couple of friends I met last time, and getting to know better some friends that I actually see outside of BWSC. I have this aversion sometimes to making friends that I don't actually get to see in person that often, because online friendships tend to be so superficial, but that's a different topic for a different day. Even after all the goodbyes, it really doesn't sink in for a day or two that it's already over. Four and a half days have never passed so quickly. Three hundred and sixty-five days is long time. Even if I do end up going next year (really just depends on some different variables), as wonderful as it would be it could never be the same as this year because it won't have Pastor Trice and Michael Card. (2011 - MOST EPIC BWSC EVER).

I enjoy listening or participating in discussions on a variety of topics, but I especially enjoy it face-to-face. One of my favorite parts of the conference was the car discussions that happened on the way there and back. I guess it happens so rarely for me to get an opportunity to discuss various issues among my peers that I take particular pleasure in those few times when it happens. The flow of ideas, the different viewpoints, the wisdom of those who have been there...they leave you with something to think about. We are sharpening each other. There are some friends that sharpen me a bit more that others, but I am thankful for the godly friends that Yahweh has brought into my life.

There is something about singing Psalms and hymns in four part harmony with a piano accompaniment that makes my soul soar. Again, perhaps it is because it is something I don't get to do often. I couldn't tell you why or what causes it, just that there is nothing like it. We didn't do a whole lot of singing during the week, but I loved every minute of it. The singing is certainly one of my favorite things about BWSC!

In some ways, I feel like a different person because all these new ideas floating around in my head. It is now  when the rubber meets the road. Where you must take what you learn and decide how you will apply it to your life. Some ideas will fall into the pail of the forgotten never to be retrieved. Others will be set aside to age and brought forth at a later time. A few will simmer away on the back burner. One or two will be at your side, constantly changing your ideas and the way you think. Because now that you know, you can't plead ignorance. We are taking what we wrote on paper and translating it into the language of everyday life. I am excited about what God is teaching me and what He has in store for my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment