28 July 2010

Boundless Summer Challenge, Task Fifteen

Task Fifteen is basically to read Can We Be Good Without God? It's a good article, addressing whether or not we can know and do what is good without God. It brings up some good points. One of them is that everyone has the law of God engraved on their hearts, but it is a matter of whether or not we are lying to ourselves about what we know deep-down to be true. If you repeat a lie long enough, at some point you will start to believe that the lie is actually the truth. On our own, we can do good works...occasionaly, that is. I enjoyed the way the author illustrated it:
Once one of my students asked if he could talk about God with me. I said okay. He told me he didn't see why he couldn't be good without God. I asked him why he didn't. He said, "Because I think I'm a decent person." I replied, "If you think your decency is high enough for God, your idea of God must be pretty low." At first he was shocked. But then I asked him whether he thought he could go a week without selfishness, without resentment, without lust. I asked whether he thought he could go a day, an hour, ten minutes. He got the point, because he knew he couldn't. By myself, neither can I.

Without Christ, we can't know good or do good works. It is awesome to think of how Yahweh chose me to serve Him, and that He has given me the power and ability to do good works and has graciously given me His word to discern what is good and what is evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment