20 July 2010

Boundless Summer Challenge, Task Nine & Ten

Task Nine was simple enough, performing an act of service for someone.

Task Ten focuses on mentorship. I haven't quite thought of mentorship in relation to myself (as either mentor or 'mentoree') so it was definitely an interesting read. Obviously,  most difficult part is when there isn't anyone there - either to learn from or to teach. As I've watched the younger girls that I know grow older (I'm still trying to believe that both one of my closest friends and my younger sister are turning eighteen...) I am starting to realize that I've already been through what some of these young ladies are just starting to embark on. It's actually a little frightening to me to realize that I am that old! ;-) Thus I've been pondering what exactly I would tell these girls when they struggle with some of the issues I've already been through. Perhaps some of these musings will appear as a future blogpost. Or if you really want to know, I'll just talk to you personally. ;-)

My family's adoption journey over the past several years has been one of those events that has aided to shape me into the person I am today. There is so much I wish I knew when we started out that took years to learn and I hope that perhaps I can save someone the pain I and my family have been through by learning from my family's experiences. Some things will only be learned by personal experience but certainly not everything. Hopefully by sharing what we've learned, others will avoid the same mistakes and won't have the same naiveness.

I've also realized how I need to be willing to have mentors. I have the privilege of having very wise friends whose counsel I trust. I certainly am thankful for that blessing, for I know that not everyone has that opportunity. It's reassuring to know that they're there whenever I need advice, and I can trust in them to give solid biblical counsel. I just need to not be afraid to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment