18 March 2011

Wearing Our Masks

"But our wounds are part of who we are and there is nothing left to chance. And pain's the pen that writes the songs that call us forth to dance" - Michael Card
"...the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work he will give us to do." - Corrie ten Boom
I've begun to realize more and more how often we have particular masks we hide behind - myself being no exception. The pain, the tears, the heartache are hidden behind the masks we put on when we go out the door. We're hurting, bleeding to death on the inside. To reveal this to others, even our closest friends, can be painful. It's admitting that we are weak and imperfect. It hurts our pride, especially when it appears that everyone else around us has everything together. If only we realized that so often they, too, are wearing their own masks.

The skeletons in the closet haunt us. Even in the deepest, darkest corner, they are glow like the day, threatening to escape into the open at a moments notice. We are ashamed of what others might think if they saw them and are contantly pushing them deeper into the darkness.

The deep wounds we receive always leave a scar. Sometimes it is noticeable, sometimes it fades over time, and sometimes it simply scabs over until there's an opportunity for it to reopen. None of us can make it through life without procuring at least one of these wounds, and some of us will have many. They are the battlescars of life.

The echoing question is "Why?". Occasionally we will receive an answer, though it is not always immediate. Why is there so much hurt and pain? Why does this have to happen to me? The two quotes I've posted at the top have been comforting in the midst of my pain. There is nothing, nothing, left to chance. God has choreographed the dance of our lives, and perhaps the pain is a necessary warm-up for a glorious moment later on in our lives. Or perhaps, as painful as the moment may be, it is the best way for Yahweh to be glorified through us. It could be the supporting beams of our witness to the world for Christ. We won't always know the purpose behind the pain, but one thing we can do is glorify and exhalt Him no matter what happens. Soli Deo Gloria!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work! I also really like the new background, and font!

    This made me think a little bit of something Pastor Carl Robbins said in his sermon on joy at BWSC last year. He said, "When people come to me with sufferings and trials, my response to them is, 'God must be preparing you for a lot of joy.' " So basically, the greater the pain, the greater the joy God will give us! Pretty neat...

    I have noticed that more and more as I struggle with depression -- it's sort of my thorn in the flesh, so to speak. And while it is frustrating, and sometimes I wish more than anything that God would just take it away and make me a completely happy person all the time, I realize that my joy after the storms is far deeper than it would be if I were not prone to depression, and it is probably a lot deeper than people who don't ever get depressed.

    It is really a very comforting and peaceful thought to realize that God has plans for all our pain, and one of the constant reasons is that he's preparing us for joy. Though it doesn't make it easier all the time, it is certainly comforting in retrospect.

    Again, good post, and very nice writing. This kind of posts of yours are my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For I do not consider my present struggles to compare to the future reward in Christ Jesus!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Londa - thank you! :) I tried to listen to the 2010 BWSC lectures, but it just isn't the same as being there. Thanks for mentioning what he said - it is a very good reminder! I have to contantly remind myself that it is part of God's plan, otherwise it is so easy to become discouraged.

    @Isaiah - Amen!

    ReplyDelete