04 November 2010

Dancing in the Minefields

I've decided to write about some of my favorite artist as a writing exercise. It'll be fun to put into word why I like the artists I listen to (at least that's what I'm hoping!). The title will be the first song I can remember listening to by the particular artist that I write about.
Well ‘I do’ are the two most famous last words
The beginning of the end
But to lose your life for another I’ve heard is a good place to begin
'Cause the only way to find your life is to lay your own life down
And I believe it’s an easy price for the life that we have found
To start out with, I introduce to you Andrew Peterson. I had a couple different friends post his song, Dancing in the Minefields, on Facebook. Soon afterwards I heard a couple different recommendations of his latest album, Counting Stars. I liked what I heard, so I bought Counting Stars. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I liked his music. I enjoy the quiet, acoustic sound and meaningful lyrics. Occasionally there is a "yeah" or what-not that could have been filled with much better lyrics, but that is a minor caveat for me. His music isn't just something that is fun to listen to, but has meaningful lyrics to accompany the lovely acoustic sound.
Like my fathers I am looking for a home
Looking for a home beyond the sea
So be my God and guide me
Till I lie beneath the hills
Then let the great God of my fathers
Be the great God of my children still
 The sad part is that he has been around for quite a while, so he has many, many, many albums out there. Sometime I will try to explore his other works, but for now I'm enjoying "Counting Stars". If you haven't heard his music, look him up and check him out. You'll be glad you did.

5 comments:

  1. My guess is that Counting the Stars is actually one of his better albums. I find that most of the other stuff I've heard of him all sounds the same pretty quick. He did a concert at Covenant last year so that's how I heard about him. I liked the concert but wasn't much into the rest of the music that I heard when I browsed for something to buy. However, your recommendation may encourage me to go back and at least check out that album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can't really comment about the rest of the music since the only one I've really listened to is Counting Stars. It was just released earlier this year. Not quite the caliber of Michael Card, but I've found it enjoyable to listen to. If you do check it out, let me know what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard any of his other music but dancing in the minefields is beautiful! I cried! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to that album (thanks to grooveshark) and did enjoy that song. I liked a couple other songs but I don't remember at the moment which ones. I was right though, this is one of his better albums in my opinion. Some of his other stuff seems to get stuck in a musical rut and starts to sound the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie - It reminds me of you guys. :D Glad you like it!

    Isaiah - Don't judge the album by the artist? ;P He has another song that I really like that I listened to when I was first looking for songs on Grooveshark. I listened to it a couple of times but can't remember the title so I haven't been able to find it since. Ah, well... Glad you enjoyed the album, though.

    ReplyDelete