02 January 2010

Women and College

I've probably written about this before, but here are some of my latest ponderings.

College has never been a big deal for me. Well, except when someone asks me where I go to college. It would be nice to avoid the look and tone of those who don't comprehend my choices, but there is something more important than acceptance that I am accomplishing at home.

Right now I am building relationships. Mainly it is with my family, but now is the time when the foundation for lifelong friendships - with family or otherwise - are built. I am able to spend much more time with my family than I would if I was in school or working. I have time to listen to a problem one of my younger brothers has and give him advice to help him solve it. I can teach my little sisters how to be godly women as they grow. I hope and pray that the time I spend now with my younger siblings with be a start to close, life-long friendships with them. Looking at my two younger sisters and realizing that, when they are my age, I'll be forty... it can be a tad bit shocking and a little intimidating. I am enjoying the time I have with them now because I don't how long it may be before I have a family of my own to look after. The frightening part is being conscience of the fact that I will be a role model to my little sisters as they follow in my footsteps.

I don't stay away from college because I don't want to study. Quite the contrary. I believe it is most essential for young people to strengthen and build their relationship with Christ. Now is the time to be studying God's word, to be laying a strong foundation on which to build in future years. Once marriage and children enter into the picture, many more obstacles will be there for things as simple as a regular quite time. I'm not saying that you can't mature once you get married, but that it is important to strive for a high level of maturity while you have more freedom to do so, and less distractions, because it will only get harder to do so in the future.

Now is the time to work on spiritual disciplines. Discover the treasures of Yahweh's Word. Hide them in your heart. Devote time to prayer. Learn theology. Know what you believe and why you believe it. It may just be me and my personality type, but I want to be able to know what I personally believe and why I believe it - not just because I was raised that way or because that's what someone told me. I want to be able to take a stance on core issues, such as baptism. It certainly makes it easier when looking for a spouse to know whether you would be able to marry a Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, or Presbyterian! Perhaps some would rather keep their options open. I, on the other hand, tend to be particular and probably tend to set a higher bar than most. I am persuaded that there are certain issues - not all, mind you - that there should be complete agreement on before marriage in the area of theology, if nothing else.

My favorite part about being a stay at home daughter is doing what I love best, and what I hope to spend the rest of my earthly days doing. Holding babies. Teaching toddlers. Encouraging others. Cooking and baking. Opening my home to friends, family, and strangers. Just enjoying life. It's certainly not all daisies and roses, and some days are more difficult than others. To stay at home isn't for the weak or lazy! ;-) However, even in the midst of difficulties and hardships, the peaceful sense of fulfillment, satisfaction and joy comes. I am doing what my Creator made me to do - serving Him in the circumstances in which he places me.

9 comments:

  1. Troll Alert:

    Yeah, that's weird. Seems the only time I have to do anything is: Now. When I am 40, my oldest sister won't be as old as I am now.

    No Catholics, huh? Are they that different theologically?

    Did I miss something? This post isn't about women and college. Do you have something against women going to college? If you do, you forgot to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment. Yes, I would say so. I was meerly mentioning different denominations to make the point that you should be aware which one lines up most with your beliefs. For me it would be Presbyterian, but for others it might be Reformed Baptist or CREC. I think it is important to enocourage high standards, as opposed to simply "settling".

    I would say that "women and college" would be the topic that these musings would fall under. I don't like choosing titles, so I'm certain there is one probably one that could describe this post better. I do have strong opinions of whether women should go to college or not, though the point of this post is more to illustrate how I can prepare to be a godly wife/mother (Yahweh willing) and the things I am able to accomplish because I am not going to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Troll Alert:

    I used to think different denominations had different beliefs, but not anymore. Take for example the holy sacrament of Communion: In particular fermented or unfermented wine? Does it matter?

    What does your church teach? What do you believe? Are they the exact same?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Troll Alert:

    Are you not afraid that perhaps using a name for the everlasting father without any idea what it means may not be taking the name in vain? The scriptures don't use it much, why should you? James says, you should say the lord willing, I will do thus and thus. Why interpose a word, a name, that you don't know what it means?

    Vain doesn't mean just devoid of meaning, but devoid of understanding. Who is the lord of all creation to you?

    It has no known meaning. Adoni: beloved. El: god. Elohim: gods. What are you saying when you call him Yahweh, or Jehovah?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hold to the fact that different denominations do have different beliefs. Yes, some may simply be minor issues, but there are major issues that are disagree upon. I am not trying to imply that someone completely agrees with everything their church practices. Different people have different priorities when looking for a church. I do think it is important, though perhaps not always necessary, to be agree on major points when looking at a church.

    No, I would not view that as taking Yahweh's name in vain. Yahweh" appears over six thousand times in the Old Testament alone. Yahweh's character has been revealed to us through the names He uses for Himself. As far as saying "Yahweh willing" as opposed to "Lord willing" - in my readings, the Greek word used there is translated into English as Lord, but in Hebrew would be "Yahweh". But I could always be incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it is as the Apostle Paul wrote: To those with understanding all things are clean.

    I'm sorry, if I offended. It was not my intention.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No offense taken. When I believe in something, I tend to believe in it strongly. No one, however, is going to agree on everything and thus one ought to be prepared to give a defense for what they believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also believe that there are core issues in every believer's life that should be shared by their spouse. Some of mine are education/discipline of children, being a stay at home wife and mother, and other such things. I've chosen not to further my education through college as well, so I feel your pain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lady Kathryn, good to hear from a kindred soul! :-) It is always reassuring to know there are other people out there just as crazy as myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete