14 January 2010

Home

Home is a comfort
And home is a light
A place to leave the darkness outside
Home is a peaceful and ever-full feeling
A place where a soul safely hides

And being at home
Should remind you that still
There's a place that's prepared
Just for you
And I think my home
Is just heaven's reflection
As long as my home's here with you

Home is where someone is waiting and loving
And happy to see you again
That half of your heart
That somebody else treasures
The one who's you forever-friend

But it seems that He's told me
The life that He's showing me
Is a life mostly spent on the road
And when the world's empty charm
Has done all of its harm
I know that His love waits for me in your arms


- Home, Michael Card



What is home? It is the place for which we long, a place of familiar sights and sounds. It isn't the walls or windows or doors that endear home to us, but the memories and the loved ones who live there. Whether consciously or not, I think that in our minds that home is first and foremost our shelter, the place in which we can find refuge. What does a man look forward to after a day spent in the world? For the comfort and familiarity of home. Michael Card, the best contemporary lyricist out there, has drawn a beautiful picture of home in his song "Home". As marriage is an earthly picture of the relationship between Christ and his bride the church, home is our earthly picture of heaven. Just as home can be anywhere as long as our loved ones are there, we aren't looking forward to a particular location to spend eternity, but we are looking forward to heaven because it is the place where we will spend eternity with our Savior, praising Him with fellow believers. It is there that a place is prepared for us and where we will find that which is most dear and familiar to us. As we enjoy home comforts, and long for home when away, may it remind us of that eternal dwelling that is waiting for us.

Hopefully you'll enjoy my musings on home, brought on by a couple of hospital stays that took me away from that blessed refuge. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ah ha! "The best contemporary lyricist out there."

    You've come to see the light I see. ; )

    Have you seen our building-the-house DVD?
    If you haven't you need to. If you can't figure out how it relates to this I'll tell you, but until then I leave you in suspense.
    If you're interested in a copy speak to my family sometime and get them to bring a copy to dance practice.

    Oh, and good post by the way… ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! As I've listened to more of his music, I've become more convinced of his supiriority in the area of biblical lyrics as opposed to others I have listened to. Not to say that he is absolutely, without a doubt the best - it's just my opinion. Jennifer, I eagerly await your comments on this.

    No, I haven't. I'll have to see if I can a copy soon, hopefully before the suspense kills me.

    ReplyDelete