20 January 2010

On How to Read Too Many Books

What we read is important influence in defining who we are as a person. Someone once said, "We'll be the same person next year, except for the books we read & the people who influence us." Pause and think about that for a second. The difference between what you were last year, and what you'll become this years relies largely on the books you will read and the people influence you. Often the two will go hand-in-hand, as those you read about affect how you live your life. It is important to be particular about what we are reading. I personally think there are several genres from which every Christian should be regularly reading.

Certainly the most important book we read is the Bible. It is the basis and groundwork that affects every area of our lives. We ought to be spending time daily in His word. My favorite bible reading plan is Prof. Horner's Bible-Reading System. Though I don't always make it through each list every day, at least reading a Psalm, Proverb and New Testament reading is a great place to start.

To enhance our understanding of the scriptures, help us understand what we believe and why believe it, to encourage us in our walk with Yahweh, to teach out how to live out our faith, there ought to be a selection on theology or doctrine. The Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, The Heidelberg Catechism, and The Discipline of Grace are all books I'm reading that fall into this category. I tend to spend a lot of time on this genre, as you can tell!

Another genre, which of late I've sadly neglected, is that of good Christian biographies. I've started reading a biography of Jim Elliot, and Hudson and Maria: Pioneers in China. Reading biographies of Christian heroes gives us a glimpse of how our faith is to be lived out. Reading missionary biographies gives us that heart for missions, a desire to see His word spread throughout all the nations.

It certainly does not mean that we can not read other genres. There are many other excellent non-fiction books that do not quite fall either category. Personally, I'm reading: What He Must Be...If He Wants To Marry My Daughter, The 5000 Year Leap, Feminine Appeal. As for fiction, I have not spent very much time there in the past couple of years. Mostly it is because of all the great non-fiction books I have been spending time with, I have nothing against the genre itself. I am determine to finally plow through Les Miserables this year, it is probably the toughest read I've had yet, and then I plan to explore some more well-written fiction books.

Biographies and theology/doctrinal books are, in my view, the most important books that we should be reading (outside of the Bible). They work together to give us deeper understand of Yahweh's word, and then seeing how that has been lived out in the lives of those who have gone before us. Hopefully this will inspire you to start reading more from both of these genres!



6 comments:

  1. No Old Testament, except Psalms and Proverbs? Might be missing out on some good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kidding, sort of.

    I think many Christians don't understand Christianity because they don't know the story leading up to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not saying not to spurn all the other Old Testament books, but that Psalms and Proverbs are good starting places. There is much wisdom to be found in the Old Testament. Since much of the New Testment is built opon, or quoting, the Old Testament, I think it is important that we should be well-read in that part of the Bible. Too many would view it as obsolete, but they couldn't be further from the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate good fiction because stories are more powerful than propositions. However, the fantasy genre has sort of lost its appeal on me for now. I feel as though there is little originality and so I have little desire to pick up a new series and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you haven't read George MacDonald, I would strongly recommend him. He was a contemporary of Charles Dickens. He wrote At the Back of the North Wind, The Golden Key, Phantastes, Lilith, and many other shorter stories. He also wrote Romance which I'm not a big fan of.

    In everything he wrote, his faith is apparent. No Fantasy series, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isaiah, you are quite right on both points. After I (hopefully) finish Les Mis, I am looking foward to reading good fiction once again. The genre has been too much neglected of late, with all the different topics I've been studying.

    Tragedy101, I have. It's been a while, but I've read several of his books. He is certainly a great writer and I hope to persue more of his works in the future.

    ReplyDelete