04 May 2011

Pens and Pencils

The writing implement of choice can really say a lot about someone. Pen and ink convey confidence, a sense of finality, of no going back. A pencil, on the other hand, gives you the opportunity to go back and change any mistakes, completely erasing the memory of their existence. In one writing course I took in school, a pen was the only thing you could write with. At first I thought it was a stupid rule, I hated not being able to go back and change what I had already written. I did come to realize how good his justification for the rule was - when writing with a pen you are more careful about working through your thoughts before placing them on paper. (Though I still like writing with pencils when I'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts or working on something I feel is important.) But it made me think about God's Word - He has written His Word, His covenant, in pen and ink. It can't be changed. All of it is there for me to see, there isn't going to be something erased or added in when I'm not looking. It makes me extremely grateful for a God that has written His Words and promises in ink.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I can see what the reason was for having you use only pen, but I don't think that's a very good idea. :) If I try to organize my thoughts before I put them on paper, I lose them. That doesn't mean I don't write with pen - I prefer pen. But I guess the thoughts that I'm thinking of are probably different from the writing course thoughts... either way, I like pens and I like to put my thoughts down as soon as I have them. :) Nothing against what you said, just some of my thoughts. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I guess my comment didn't go through...

    Yup, I agree. It was actually just at the onset, until you got used to organizing ideas before putting them down, while writing stories. It was good for that type of writing, and is also helpful for other styles as well. However, when I write in my journal (and probably my blog as well), it is a completely different style because I don't usually edit it, which is probably rather obvious. ;) I guess it just struck me as I was thinking about this concept I learned, how faithful God is to His promises. They aren't going to change, or be erased, or edited. They are there in nice, bold ink, and that is so reassuring to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's nice to get a comment once in a while to hear other people's opinions and to know that someone is actually reading this stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete