20 October 2009

While I'm Waiting...

Here's a delayed post that I'm finally getting around to posting!


There is an ever-widening gap these days between high school and marriage. Marriage is delayed first for college, then until the debt incurred from college is paid off, and then further while a house is bought and/or a well paying job is secured. We delay until we feel completely prepared and everything is in place. But in reality the reading, preparation and study are useless until you can actually start applying them.

Now, that probably sounds like I don't think you should prepare at all. On the contrary, I am dismayed at the lack of preparation of young people for marriage. I am merely throwing out the thought that maybe some are delaying marriage because they don't feel completely prepared. These are just some of my musings.

I wish I saw more young ladies preparing for marriages, not careers. I am weary of the cultural norm that everyone should go to college after high school. While the aim should be growing up learning these various duties, I do think that after graduation there should more study made into being a homemaker (unless you're a guy, then it should be maturity and leadership). I would suggest first being knowledgeable about the care and keeping of a household - things like cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, beautifying the home, meal planning, child rearing, etc. - before seeking out a higher education. I think it's preferable to have a good foundation in those areas before marriage. I truly enjoy the circumstances Yahweh has placed me in - I have had hands-on experience with most everything pertaining to babies because of my now eighteen month old sister, I can see how different schooling methods work as I help my younger brothers with their school, and just learn the general care of a household. I realize not everyone can have the experiences I've had (though I do think if you don't have any younger siblings, you should consider helping someone who has young children so to gain that experience - and I would venture to say that applies to men and women), but I do think there ought to be some sort of preparation in those areas. We shouldn't wait to prepare, but should prepare while we wait! I've obviously addressed more of the ladies side of the issue, but the idea of preparation applies to the gentlemen, too.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

No comments:

Post a Comment