02 April 2010

One of those days...

Sometimes, you have "one of those days". What exactly do I mean? Those days are where nothing (or at least a lot) of things go wrong. Today was close to being one of those days. My big disappointment of the day involved experimenting with homemade marshmallow peeps. Now, you are supposed use an electric mixer but mine broke so I tried to do it by hand, but in the end it was a flop. Then I injured my little toe while dancing - the day before I am supposed to help my aunt shoot a wedding. I'm sure I don't have to tell you the temptation we all have on these type of days towards self-pity and despair.

It is so easy to start focusing on the bad things that happening and miss out on the good. For example, the failed peeps turned into delicious oatmeal creme pies. If we seek to turn ourselves into regular ol' Pollyannas, always looking for the good in *every* situation, we will be rewarded. Trying to find the silver lining doesn't come naturally; in fact, it can take a lot of time and practice to cultivate that "talent". But if we seek to find joy in every situation, we will be happier people. Our cups will be so filled with joy that it will "splash" onto those around us. Even so, the joy does not come of ourselves but is a gift from Yahweh. The world will wonder at the inexpressible delight we find in Him.

Sometimes the burden becomes too much for us, though. We can't seem to find joy anywhere. It seems as if everything that could possible go wrong has. The cloud of depression weighs heavily on your soul and nothing seems to be able to dispel it. What then, are we to wallow in our sadness? No, we need to seek our joy from Yahweh. Even on our absolute worse days, we are not beyond the reach of His grace. Even on our best days, we are not beyond the need of His grace. As Christians, we are constantly supposed to be joyful. What to we have to be sad and mournful about? The maker of the universe loves us. He gave His most valuable, precious possession to be torn, beaten, hung on a cross for us. What more could He have given? It was for me, for my sins that He was smitten of God and afflicted. For the lies I have told, the sins I have committed. By His stripes I am healed, my sins are forgiven. Now, is that not something to be joyful about?

A glorious Easter Sunday to you all.

SDG,
Jessica
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

No comments:

Post a Comment