18 March 2010

A Sabbath on the Lord's Day

I have had this article in my drafts for quite some time. I decided it's about time that I share this with you! :-)

I think it is an excellent idea. We are so surrounded my our technology that it would be beneficial to take regular breaks and unplug. We ask God to speak to us, yet our lives are so filled with music, iPods, emails, all sorts of electronics...we have no silence in which we can hear Him speak. This is why our quiet time with the Lord should come as soon as possible in the mornings, before the distractions start flooding in. Do the bare minimum you have to do to wake up, and then make it your priority to spend time with Yahweh - not just in His Word, but speaking to Him and listening.

A good point brought out in the article is the temptation towards legalism. It is easy to think ourselves better because we don't get on Facebook on Sundays. Yet the prophet Isaiah tells us that our righteousness is as filthy rags. It doesn't matter how good we are, it is never good enough. I can't enter into heaven on my own merit. My very best is nothing better than a pile of dirty, filthy, stained rags. Do I lose hope, seeing how not matter what I do, it is naught? No, for by Yahweh's grace, I am being sanctified, and am being made more holy and more like Him. I can not do it of myself, I must plead with Yahweh to work in me - to sanctify me, to grant me the desire to seek after Him, to help me follow hard after Him. By seeking to unplug from the source of so much distraction, I am more free to focus on Him on His day. It isn't easy, especially at first, and I admit that sometimes it is difficult to do it for a full twenty-four hours. You can even start out with, say, twelve or fifteen hours, and work up to a full twenty-four hours. Persevere and I think you will find the eternal rewards worth the struggle.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Jessica
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with Nextel Direct Connect

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jessica.

    These thoughts are really insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When did I say that? ; P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tragedy101: I'm glad you were able to find some of my ramblings insightful.

    Isaiah: Hahaha...not! :-P I guess I'll have to edit and change it to say the prophet Isaiah. ;-)

    ReplyDelete