19 July 2009

Names of God: El Shaddai

On Saturdays in preparation for Sunday worship, I have begun to look at the names of God. I have found this link to be of aid in my study. Beginning this week, I will be highlighting one of the names of God each week.

As we learn about His names, we begin to learn about the character of God. I am beginning this week with "El Shaddai" - All-Sufficient One, Lord God Almighty. All-sufficient to me means that He is all I need, He will take care of me. Though some may trust in man, I can and will put my trust in El Shaddai. Unlike man, He will never let me down, never leave me nor forsake me. He is all I need and I know He will take care of me. He is Lord God Almighty, ruler of all. I don't need to worry about anything, He has it all under control.

(The following info on the meaning of the name El Shaddai is from the above link)



Use in the Bible: In the Old Testament El Shaddai occurs 7 times. El Shaddai is first used in Gen 17:1.

Variant spellings: None

TWOT Reference: 2333

Strong's Reference: 7706

El Shaddai in the Septuagint: theou saddai — God Shaddai; pantokratôr (for Shaddai) — the Almighty

Meaning and Derivation: El is another name that is translated as "God" and can be used in conjunction with other words to designate various aspects of God's character. Another word much like Shaddai, and from which many believe it derived, is shad meaning "breast" in Hebrew (some other scholars believe that the name is derived from an Akkadian word Šadu, meaning "mountain," suggesting strength and power). This refers to God completely nourishing, satisfying, and supplying His people with all their needs as a mother would her child. Connected with the word for God, El, this denotes a God who freely gives nourishment and blessing, He is our sustainer.

Further references of the name El Shaddai in the Old Testament: Gen 17:1; Gen 28:3; Gen 35:11; Gen 43:14; Gen 48:3




Soli Deo Gloria,

2 comments:

  1. El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    El-Elyon na Adonia,
    Age to age You're still the same,
    By the power of the name.
    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    Erkamka na Adonai,
    We will praise and lift You high,
    El Shaddai.

    Through your love and through the ram,
    You saved the son of Abraham;
    Through the power of your hand,
    Turned the sea into dry land.
    To the outcast on her knees,
    You were the God who really sees,
    And by Your might,
    You set Your children free.

    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    El-Elyon na Adonia,
    Age to age You're still the same,
    By the power of the name.
    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    Erkamka na Adonai,
    We will praise and lift You high,
    El Shaddai.

    Through the years You've made it clear,
    That the time of Christ was near,
    Though the people couldn't see
    What Messiah ought to be.
    Though Your Word contained the plan,
    They just could not understand
    Your most awesome work was done
    Through the frailty of Your Son.

    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    El-Elyon na Adonai,
    Age to age You're still the same,
    By the power of the name.
    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    Erkamka na Adonai,
    I will praise and lift You high,
    El Shaddai.

    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    El-Elyon na Adonai,
    Age to age You're still the same,
    By the power of the name.
    El Shaddai, El Shaddai,
    Erkamka na Adonai,
    I will praise and lift You high,
    El Shaddai.

    El Shaddai by Michael Card

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great song - in fact, it's been going through my head since I wrote this post! (Which is interesting because I can't remember the last time I heard it...)

    ReplyDelete