19 January 2009

Do Hard Things

I would like to introduce to you an organization called "The Revolution". I've been following the work of the Harris brothers, Alex and Brett, off and on for several years through this, their website. The articles are always helpful and pertinent to me as a young person. For those of you who don't know, they have also written "Do Hard Things", which I highly recommend for both young and old. Their writings encourage me to do hard things. The bar needs to be raised for young people - we are expected to fritter away our teenage years in parties, proms and friends. With the the expectations set low, it is no wonder that not many are willing to reach beyond it. But that's not what we young people as Christians should be doing - and neither should we expect to do it. The teenage years need to be taken advantage of as time to build our character and gain experience. The bar needs to be raised, and we need to be willing to do hard things.

They're are two basic types of hard things - big and small. It's easy for me, especially, to want to do the big hard things and change the world - but I have been shown that it is every bit important do the small hard things, too. Things often overlooked or taken for granted, like cleaning my room or doing a good job with my work. It is so easy to fall into lazy, old habits, but with the reminders I receive from the Harris brothers, I am encouraged to continue in doing hard things and breaking the culture's mold for teenagers. Be sure to check out The Revolution for yourself. I leave you in closing, 1 Timothy 4:12: "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." - 1 Timothy 4:12

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jess! I got the book for my birthday and finished reading it back in Dec. It was very encouraging, but also convicting at times.
    I love how they made the point that doing hard things isn't just limited to going out into the world and starting/ doing big things. (although these things are great) Doing hard things is also following through with a project, doing things around the house the way your mother (or Father) wants it to be done, and not they way you think it should be done. (that one hit home for me) ;-)

    ReplyDelete